Monday, April 02, 2012

she's in my head, she's in my mind

This is an X-ray of my head right now. That's exactly what's going on in there at the moment. I get into a project and I live and breathe it.

I was hoping to post this drawing over the weekend but it took far longer than I'd anticipated. I reckon there's, at a guess, around 16-20 hours work in this spread. I suppose in the grand old scheme of things that's not so long. When you think of how long people take making books or albums then it's a drop in the ocean.

I often think about such things, like the making of an album, when late at night and the world is dreaming and I'm scribbling away creating this crazy stuff. I suppose it's a way of comforting myself. Have you ever seen the film about the making of a Springsteen album ('The Promise; The Making of the Darkness at the Edge of Town')? It's all about that crazy obsessive manic compulsive demanding compelling destructive beautiful creative drive. I bloody love that film, mainly because it reminds me that I'm not alone.

I also think that if I were making an album I would not want to listen to it for at least a year after it's completion. I'm just putting this sketchbook away for a couple of days now.

17 comments:

Constantina Kalimeris said...

I love this new drawing Andrea...your posts keep me going you know..:) I also think your handwriting is a major creative part of the whole creation and it's just amazingly consistent-like you!...I know NOW that working on a book is an enormous undertaking...my first bookis almost done and will be published soon-very happy day it will be...and when I get paid I will be able to purchase some of your fabulous prints!

Thomas Haskett said...

Love this drawing! Wish my handwriting was as neat as yours :)

Tahirih Goffic said...

I love this soooo....much. It's one of my very favorite of all of your amazing pictures! Will you be offering it as a print?

Jennifer Edwards said...

And now I know...I'm not alone either!:)

Jennifer Edwards said...

And now I know...I'm not alone either!:)

bellefrogworks said...

An amazing drawing - so much to look at. It looks like 16 to 20 hours at least!

T. Roger Thomas said...

Amazing drawing and now thanks to your recommendation I have a new movie to watch!

Alena said...

Wow, that's the work! you are insane (in a good way, of course :))

I draw to comfort my mind too, it has appeared to be the best way to do it.

Unknown said...

Great drawing and it sums up how full our minds get with a single topic.

Anonymous said...

the next time my head is feeling jumbled I'm going to think of it like this, instead of a mess!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you, all so much folks. I'm so happy that you like this one because despite being very tired of it at the moment (16 hours or more!), I feel it will be one of my faves in time.

Tahirih, I'm not sure but I am looking into prints currently - where you can choose your drawing and I'll get them printed to order. i think I've found a good high quality prnter.

Cheers, everyone. Watch the movie if you get a chance. It's very good.

Thanks x

John H said...

Great work!! Love to be able to be as creative as this.

John H said...

Great stuff!!

Kolby said...

This is really strange, Andrea. I just saw this post a moment ago, but not 12 hours ago, I painted something very similar! Total Twilight Zone moment right now... http://www.flickr.com/photos/kahunna/6933218244

Unknown said...

so clever. love this. love your work!

Anonymous said...

I greatly admire your sketch art
mbtt321@gmail.com

swedish corporate services said...

Sweden is a nice country and Swedish companies are in general very productive and environmentally conscious.